Monday, May 12, 2008

Chicago - Days 1 & 2




Well, I am currently in Glen Ellen, Illinios, interning with the great Sarah Anne Barlow. And man am I having fun!


I have had three firsts that have to do with this adventure; first off, I had never flown alone. It was a blast!! I really enjoyed only having to maintain myself and having time to run to the Starbucks and such if I wanted. and I met some very neat people: I met a girl who was flying to Hawaii for her best friend's wedding (I'm so jealous), who, unfortunately, left all of her shoes in the car. Sorry Brianne! I'm sure your flops will be very well suited to volcanic rock. Also I met a girl whose name I never caught. We were discussing the weather and turned out she was at school in Arizona double majoring in Spanish and 'crew' which she said is rowing teams. Pretty cool if you ask me! She had a red juke by Verizon, OH! and hot pink and white luggage. *smiles*


Now while I was on the plane, I was able to spend a lot of time on my devotions; mainly because Brianne was sleeping. I was reading in the Psalms and had to stop at this chapter.


"Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost me foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man... Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence....When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you' you hold my by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." (Ps. 73:1-5,13, 21-28)


Though the beginning was true, what struck me was how the later passages (verses 23 and following) induced in me, genuine praise. Here is what I wrote as a response:


Praise the Lord, O my soul! Though I have doubted, He has been patient and quick to forget His anger. His faithfulness is beyond my comprehension; it is all together to great for me to grasp. I will praise you, my God, for daily you provide for my needs; never have you failed! Your mighty deeds are throughout the nations; may they be known to all the peoples. I will declare your works; of your provision I will sing. For you are good. In your sovereignty I have placed my trust. Great is the Lord!


As I went on in my reading in Isaiah 12, I continued to rejoice in the goodness of God. Again and again His attributes are made know. I am so blessed that I have been able to rejoice, daily, in His goodness.


Now, I said there were three things, three firsts; I only mentioned one. The others are this; eating lunch at Panera Bread and knowing someone who owns a BMW. The last one is especially cool because as we were eating at Panera, Sarah told me the story of her BMW, and I was blessed to hear of God's goodness, once again. Praise God!


Well, I will post more later; we're not doing much today. Mainly gearing up for the rest of my time here.


Pounds of suga'


Cait
PS This is definately the way 'they' wear skinny jeans here:
I think it might catch on in NC... ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha, I love you! You are amazing..and I am missing you. :(
But I know that you are going to have SO much fun! I can't wait to see ALL the pictures when you get back, I Love you! :)
<3

abigail smith said...

You're going to have the most amazing time ever! The Barlow's are the most wonderful family, and you will learn a boatload from Sarah!

Savvy said...

Hey babe!
I miss you ALOT here in NC...but hope you are having fun! I saw the pics of the Hughes and they are AWESOME! Nicely done! Chris did awesome too! Y'all are a great team! Well, can't wait 'till you get back! See ya darlin'!
Honey Bunches-O-love (with lots-o-kisses!)
Savvy

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love your writing style. It made me happy. It's fun to hear about what interning for Sarah is like 'cause I wanted to do it too but it didn't work out.

I love Panera a lot and the Bible verse you quoted made me feel reflective and like I should get off the computer and spend time with God.